1771 — Avignon — 1842
Extensive Landscape with Classical Edifices
pen & grey ink, brush & grey washes. 55/16 x 81/2" (150 x 215 mm).
Antoine Chantron spent most of his life in Avignon. The largest collection of his paintings and drawings can still be seen there in the Musée Calvet, Avignon, where Chantron had acted as director. The inscription on two drawings by the artist in the Cabinet des Dessins in the Louvre indicate that he served as an artillery captain in the French army (CHANTRON, CAPTAINE D'ARTILLERIE DELL[INATE]) and that he was active in Italy. There he produced drawings of sites related to Napoleon's campaigns against the Austrians in 1796.
The cool neo-classicism of this drawing is similar in style and technique to the two afore-mentioned signed examples in the Louvre, dating from the 1790's.1
See the Louvre's web-site.