oil on paper(?) attached to linen and bearing the imprint of it. relined. 121/2 x 73/4" (31.5 x 19.8mm).
This colorful reduced study after Cavedone's altarpiece was likely executed in front of the original in Paris, before 1815, as that is the date when it was returned to Italy. Dated 1614, Cavedone's masterpiece had hung as the main altarpiece in the chapel of the Compagnia dei Fabbri in S. Maria della Pieta dei Mendicanti in Bologna until confiscated by Napoleon in 1796.1 Today it hangs in the Pinacoteca Nazionale in Bologna. Laura Giles knows of several other late 18th & early 19th c. copies, one by Fragonard, one by David.2. An earlier copy is known, presently in a private collection.3
Negro and Roio, Giacomo Cavedone, 1577 - 1660, Modena, 1994, pp.116-118, cat. #43, illustrated in color.
Courtesy of her e-mail dated November 3rd, 2009.
Negro & Roio, op.cit. p. 77, pl.121.