Tilburg 1777 1847 Berlicum

Landscape with Ruins of the Monastery at Namur by the River Meuse

pencil underdrawing, pen & grey ink, brush & watercolor. 147/8 x 20" (377 x  500mm). signed l/l: J.A.Knip and inscribed by the artist: au bord de la Meuse, Namur.

Pupil of his father, Nicholaas-Frederik, Joseph-August learned at an early age to draw and paint. His skill in producing extensive landscapes such as the present watercolor was outstanding. He produced such works during his travels throughout Belgium, in Paris, such as a View of the Place se la Concord, in Italy, especially in the south where he made elaborate drawings of the Ruins of the Basilica of Constantine, the Temple at Paestum and Vetriby the Sea, for instance.

A watercolor drawing of the Ruins of the Cloister at Namen is at Noordbrabants Museum in Hertogenbosch. It measures 33.5 x 49cm, is dated 1809 and is published in a book of the Knip family of artists.1 Therein the author notes that in 1810, J-A sent a painting entitled View of the Abbey of La Marche in Namur to an exhibition in Amsterdam. That painting was considered lost but it may be the recently exhibited painting thought to be an Italian view by Sothebys, New York in January 2014.2 In 1809 Knip traveled in the area of Namur to make preparatory drawings for this project. The date of 1809 appears on both our drawing and the aforementioned study for it.

Fransje Kuyvenhoven & Ronald Peeters, Die Familie Knip, Drie generaties kunstenaars uit Noord-Brabant, Zwolle, 1988, cat. # 25.


January 30th, lot 307.